Dr. Eva Surmacz is an internationally recognized expert in cancer biology. Dr. Surmacz is the Director of the Obesity and Cancer Program at Sbarro Health Research Organization. Her research interests include the link between obesity and cancer, crosstalk between growth factor and steroid receptors in cancer progression, and development of anti-cancer targeted strategies.
Dr. Surmacz’s research has been funded over the past 12 years by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program, and several private foundations and organizations.
In our wide-ranging SCIENCE AND SOCIETY interviews, Dr. Surmacz discusses
- The hormonal control of breast cancer growth and progression
- The link between obesity and cancer
- How fatty tissue secretes proteins that are involved in the development of cancer
- How reduction of obesity should be a key part of any cancer prevention program
- How diet might modulate the expression of cancer-related genes
- New treatments for cancer